Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Setbacks and Hospitality

This is the largest movable Radio Telescope in the world.  Located in a ring of mountains there is no cell reception, satellite television, wifi or anything that could cause interference for miles!  Standing taller than the Statue of Liberty this baby has helped advance research and understanding of black holes.
http://www.nrao.edu/

Here's my camp site at the end of the first day - off the main road of a sleepy town called Durbin, West Virginia (est 1906 current pop. ~200). There's a historic train museum with an operational steam engine, library, parlor and bar - with $1.50 Yuengling on draft ;)
The fellow who operates this place insisted I park my bike in that shed to protect it from the heavy rain expected that night.  My tent pitched under that tree on the dyke and beside the stream ensured a nice melody to sleep to in addition to the drumming rain that sure did fall through the night.

The ride out was amazing - I crossed over seven peaks to get there and much of the terrain is in protected land - undeveloped and pristine since growing back from the early 1900's logging binge.  I particularly loved becoming one with the bike and road up and down those slopes.  It was new, engaging and somewhat challenging in spots. 

Day two, and the reason for this post name.   I rode through eight patches of rainfall after plowing a bag of Sun Chips at this rest stop.  The ride was a lot of fun - especially looking like a tool in my visi-vest (under the jacket on the seat). 
All was well until I fueled up at a podunk gas station.  Apparently, we'll see tomorrow, I filled up on bad gas as ten miles later my bike kept stalling.  A shame after a wet day... 
So here's the temporary solution.  I'm staying AT the local motor-sport shop until the mechanic gets back in the morning.  It's complete with showers and a kitchen too!  When the owner found out about my situation he sent one of his sons out with the trailer to pick me up.  He said, "well, the nearest motel is 8 miles up the road, or you can just stay here."  His other son gave me one of the garage door openers so I can come and go as I like for breakfast or whatever. 
A better view of my visi-vest...and my tent is drying out in the bathroom beneath the built-in heater.  You can't make this stuff up!

2 comments:

  1. Im glad we got you fixed up let us know how she rides some time.
    Chris@stephensmotorsports

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an incredible adventure already! I imagine Sun Chips don't have quite the staying power of lembas, but what can you do? Enjoy the journey! :)

    ReplyDelete