Friday, August 16, 2013

Wandering Depth Finder

Since getting straightened out by those good folk back in Lavalette, WV, my bike's been purring along free ways and back country roads in Kentucky and Missouri.  Lesson learned: Don't stop at out-of-the-way podunk gas stations.
Here's a view from a rest area along I-64 in Kentucky.  And the weather has been just as superb since.
A fairly typical view along Rt. 60 through Kentucky...lots of winding roads and hills.  It was a lot of fun and refreshing after burning up free way miles.  I spent a lot of time wandering roads in a westerly direction - no gps, no real plan...just the ride.
I got to Mammoth Cave about two hours before dark - just late enough to avoid the camping fee as it turned out.  And the cool air prevented any species of bug from bothering me while setting up camp.
The entrance to Mammoth Cave!
On Thursday morning I signed up for the Historic Tour (2 hours and 2 miles IN the cavern).  Currently, there are over 400 miles of cavern discovered but only 12 are habitable for tours at any given time.  Traces of mankind go as far back as 5,000 years. 
This is original wood piping from the early 1800's in support of the war of 1812.  Folk in these parts had to manufacture their own black gun powder.  Saltpetre, one of three ingredients, was obtained by soaking water through "cave dirt" and pumping what seeped through topside for boiling.
You can kind of see the stairwell begin down below seven or eight stories.  We descended just over 300 feet below the surface and fortunately weren't assaulted by any neferious creatures.  Only two species of translucent fish (in the underground rivers) and a species of bat are know of. 
Coming back topside - and on to Missouri via country back roads!  Rt. 70 - gorgeous and scenic (below).
Eventually I found myself on Rt. 60W through the heart of southern Missouri.  It's an addictive route to ride as it goes through several sections of Mark Twain National Forest.  Sweeping hills, vast forests, wide open road with lots of visibility.  I did not stop until I had to an hour or so before dark at the Big Spring RV Park in Van Buren.
There, I figured out how to use the camera timer to prove I'm really on this trip!  Took it this morning over coffee at Big Springs.
On my way to my Great Grandmother's Niece's place in Republic, Missouri.  I've never met her and she's 79 years old.  Who doesn't love story time?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment