Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Sun-Lighted Path

Welcome to Utah!
The amazing thing about riding across Utah in one day is the way the land transforms before your eyes:
Behold, Canyonlands.  The twisty road to get to this point was very conducive to getting my lean on AND a LOT of fun!

A view from my lunch table in Green River Utah - great service AND food!
Were it not for the paved roads I would have thought I was part of a Mars colonization effort.  Through these parts the highway was typically three lanes wide with a speed limit of 80mph. 
By this time I was listening to music while riding for the first time since leaving home.  There is something deeply moving about Mumford and Sons' music while bawling through sweeping roads in an unfamiliar land of jagged rocks, cliffs and mesas.  Lover of the Light, Under My Feet, I Will Wait and Not With Haste are among my favorites while riding.
I was surrounded by storm clouds for the last half of the day.
The sun seemed to dry the road before me.
For nearly 150 miles I crossed valleys and surmounted peaks surrounded in my bubble of sunshine.  With child-like joy I played cat and mouse with the weather.
Ahead, Great Basin National Park, my destination.  So I stopped my giggling, cackling, laughing and joy and put my game face on.  Regardless, all the way into camp my sun-lighted path never ceased.


No comments:

Post a Comment